Tuesday 1 March 2011

Fantastic Mr Porter



Beyonce may have stipulated what we should do if we were boys, but if I were a man I would spend my days cavorting around in Tom Ford suits and reading Fantastic Man Magazine.

However, whilst I was waiting for Ford to finish trimming his perfect beard with nail scissors and finish my suits I would definitely be browsing Net a Porter's effortlessly chic new male site Mr Fantastic, sorry, Mr Porter.
Everything has been painstakingly styled, reminiscent of Ford's movie 'A Single Man' with simple elegance from the minimal layout down the delicate pewter coloured lettering in the ubiquitous Engravers font. Perhaps most importantly though, the clothes are great too.

The edit is minimal in terms of the volume of designers stocked but what it does provide is a directory of those who will make men look amazing with staples McQueen, Burberry, Jil Sander and Rick Owens featured amongst the carefully chosen few as well as insider favourites such as Limoland joining the party shortly.

Obviously Fantastic Man has been a huge influence on the site, but this is no problem for me as they are both offer men's styling advice in a way that teeters beautifully between overtly masculine and homoerotic. They both also make full use of the wonders of black and white photography to enhance the sex appeal of the range of subjects mentioned in the journal section from rugby to how to shuckle an oyster. My personal favourite is the '32 items all men should own' which denotes a list of pieces so delicious that I want to rush out and redress every man I know.











No comments:

Post a Comment